Monday, October 11, 2010

Here We Go Again

Ok, so I'm going on a management "retreat" for work.  Basically, it's brainwashing by a guest speaker about leadership.  Hopefully, I will be indeed brainwashed.  Seriously, I need that shit.  I'm not good at bossing people around and I'm even worse at confrontations.  I force myself to do it, but it's hard.  I'm a horrible boss, but I suppose knowing is half the battle, right?

I'm worried about the social part of the retreat.  All other management/supervisors, medical directors will be there also.  Which means I'll be forced to partake in my favorite activity- talking to people I don't know.  I'm nervous already because I don't want to people to misconstrue my shyness as being a snob, as I've previously discussed and complained about. 

I remember last year, I was singled out and asked a question about something undoubtedly lame.  I don't know how but I squeaked out a perfectly acceptable answer, but I still felt like a dumb ass.  I HATE speaking in front of large groups.  UGH.  It's just so funny how I can be so open to people who know me, but so distant to others. 

I'm not totally complaining.  Afterall, I get 3 days off from my actual job, paid, which is cool.  I get free food for a few days.  I get my own room at the Sir Frances Drake Hotel in SF.  AND we get to go to the SF zoo on Wednesday afternoon for a tour.  I think we get to feed the giraffes!!! Awesome!  So, it's not all that bad, I suppose.  Really, I'm grateful I get to go... it's not VCA's fault that I'm lame and can't talk to people.

I'm bringing my computer so I can blog about anything of interest-- any interesting happenings and such.  So we'll see.  Wish me and my lameness luck....

1 comment:

  1. um, if you feed the giraffes i will die of jealousy!! :P no i won't i will be super excited for you! TAKE PICTURES PLEASE!
    talking to people: LAME. but i am sure you will do a great job.
    and don't be afraid of those peeps, they are probably just as nervous as you are!

    ReplyDelete