Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I Love Free

As you know I went to Europe earlier this summer.  It was semi-stressful because we traveled so much, but I had a wonderful time.  I got to see so much and it was amazing.  My favorite place was London.  If anyone ever wants to go there, I'm soooo down.  I love it.  Astounding, wonderful, fabulous... ugh I could go on about how much I love it there.

I think Europe in general has a better appreciation for their history, which includes monuments/architecture and works of art- sculpture, paintings, etc.  Of course their history spans hundreds and hundreds of years, while ours is still relatively new, especially here on the west coast.

I don't know...it seems like in California there is high demand for everything to be new.  Let's tear down the old buildings and put up nice, pretty, sterile ones instead.  I know a lot of historical buildings were destroyed during the 1906 earthquake.  However, a lot of old buildings are crumbling into the ground due to neglect and seemingly no one cares--- well that, and there's no funding from the state to fix them.  Restoration.  What's that?

In London, and Europe in general, they are less likely to demolish buildings, they restore them.  Many of the old buildings are restored to their original state-- which means that they don't typically include elevators for physically disabled people.  We stayed in a hotel with no elevator-- we had to lug our god damn shit up 2 flights of narrow ass stairs.  Huffing and puffing the whole way.  If you are either physically unfit, old, or disabled, your ass better stay in a newer hotel, or on the bottom floor.  No air conditioning.  Weird furnace heater things.  Old plumbing.

So, I do have a point.  All of the museums in Britain are free because they are government agencies.  They take pride in all of the amazing art pieces they've collected over the years of British conquests.  For hundreds of years, they've truly known the value of these works of art- monetarily, socially, and historically.  Those bitches were everywhere- and they collected (or stole) thousands upon thousands of pieces of priceless art .  The British Museum is one of the most breath taking places I've ever been-- sooo beautiful, I can't even describe how it made me feel.  My chest was tight and I held back tears simply because it was that amazing.  Speechless.  The marble statues from Italy and Greece, so graceful and fluid and smooth.  Like you are looking into their soul, through their life-like eyes.  The paintings that have survived for so long.  Being in the presence of things that are so old and beautiful is humbling and something I will never forget.  The ancient Egyptians, all the artifacts- the mummies.  It brings tears to my eyes as I write this.  Did I mention that this museum is free?  Yep it was.  They did take donations, but it wasn't required to enter.  AMAZING.

The British Museum of Natural History was also free (except the ocean exhibit was extra).  They have fossils-- tons of fossils... everything you could think of.  A HUGE collection of dinosaurs.  A cool section about ecology...how everything is connected in the world and how symbiotic relationships are necessary for the survival of every living thing on the planet.  How we are destroying our planet with waste. So much to see.  The planets, insects, every species of bird.  It was cool (not as cool as the British Museum, but still awesome).  This shit was free too. FREE.

 We also went to a weird medical museum.  It was at some college for surgeons--- I can't remember exactly what it's called.  It was basically a museum of weird shit.  Medical oddities, skeletons of people with various medical conditions, specimens of different species of animals, human fetus, old medical equipment.  Just weirdness in general.  My kind of place.  I will admit though, it was kinda creepy.  FREE.

It's nice to know that lots of different people can enjoy these museums.  Poor people aren't excluded because these places are so expensive.  Try taking a family of 4 to a museum--- that can be pricey, especially if you don't have a lot of money.  It's a great place for kids, to gain an appreciation for the earth and things of beauty.  It's just nice...

Of course, there are a lot of things in Europe you have to pay for.  For example, at Buckingham Palace, the Queen often has her private galleries open.  We saw an exhibit for Albert and Victoria (if you don't know their story, you should read about it, interesting), which was cheap as shit.  Around $12-$15.  We also went into the Royal Stables where all the horses are kept, and also, those pimped out horse drawn carriages for coronations, births, deaths, marriages, and shit like that.  The big ass gold one is crazy.  This exhibit was also pretty inexpensive about the same as Albert and Victoria.  The Tower Of London, around $25-- and you got to see all the Crown Jewels.  Some of the towers are from the 1400s--- all the history.  God, I find all that stuff absolutely fascinating.  Uhhh hell yeah I'll shell out a few bucks for that.

Ok, so here's where my point comes in.  Really.  I have never been to Alcatraz.  Are you fucking kidding me?  I've lived in the Bay Area for 33 years and I've never been.  I've been wanting to go forever.  So, recently, I was checking times, etc.  They have night tours.  I thought that would be super cool, maybe a little creepy since it's supposed to be haunted.  $35.  Yep.  $35.  Honestly, a place so popular, and presumably owned by the state you think it could be a little more reasonable.  Again a family of 4?  Shit, you're looking at over $100 to visit a historical landmark in the state in which we live.  A lot of people will miss out simply because they can't afford to go.  What a shame.  They probably make a shitload of money selling those fucking dumb t-shirts, "I escaped from Alcatraz". 

Another example, The Winchester Mystery House.  I know for a fact that the City of San Jose owns that shit.  It is sooooo pricey.  It's about $35 for the tour, which is like an hour.  Please.  If you want to do the extended tour, which includes going down into the basement (wearing a hard hat, thank you very much) and extends the tour by a half an hour is like $40.  Really?  The last time I went a few years ago the tour guide was a 17 year old pimply faced kid.  He spoke too fast and was a fucking terrible tour guide.  Jesus Christ.  He totally looked like Alfred E. Newman (you know from Mad Magazine).  I'm telling you, he was his son.  Seriously.  Anyways, I digress.  So, it's the same fucking tour every time.  Do you think they ever switch shit up?  Hell no.  Don't get me wrong, it's some interesting shit...that lady was crazy... but worth $35?  Ummm no.  I get that it takes a ton of money to run that place- to pay the employees, for maintenance, etc., but shouldn't the city/state help kick down?  It is a California Historical Landmark.  Shouldn't the state subsidize it?


Ok, so I do have an example of something cheap that's pretty cool, and after I tell you, I'm taking my ass to bed.

Not too far from where I live there is a Mission.  Every California kid has to learn about the mission system.  Junipero Serra?  Native Americans being forced and beaten into Christianity?  PP, you may have to ask Bob about this one.  I'm sure in Massachusetts, you learn about the pilgrims, Salem Witch Trials and shit that happened in your state.  Anyways, in Fremont we have a mission.  It's pretty cool.  It was built in the late 1700s, and for here, that's gd ancient.  It's still a church, which is totally creepy inside and it has a little museum with artifacts, and a creepy old graveyard- which you know I love.  So, all of this for the bargain price of $10.  Not too bad.  I think all the people who work there are volunteers.  It's nice and a pretty cool place to visit.  

 
So, most of the shit costs a ton of money.  How can our kids learn to appreciate and respect our history when it's so expensive you can't go?  It costs a lot of money to live here- almost 10% state sales tax.  Why can't any of this money go to the preservation of our history and culture?  Make it inexpensive so everyone can enjoy.  I don't know, I really think we could learn from places like England.   

Ok, I'm done now.  :) 
 

1 comment:

  1. i am desperate to go to euro-land for the express and geeky purpose of seeing old shit. castles, cemeteries, buildings, art. like, are you fucking kidding me, europe? i can't even deal!
    oh and i have totally cried at museums... ha ha ha! then again i cry at disney, so i guess it's to be expected... oh well!
    i can't believe you haven't been to alcatraz... I'VE been to alcatraz :P i can't believe they have a night time tour... that place was really weirdly creepy during the day... totally haunted!!

    ReplyDelete