Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I Swear I'm Not a Stalker, But I Love Stevie Nicks

I have loved Stevie Nicks forever  I admire everything about her- well, her except her addiction to klonopin and cocaine in the 80s- not good.  She's so pretty, an amazing songwriter, has a hauntingly beautiful voice, AND she can harmonize with anyone on this planet.  Her songs consist of poetry paired with awesome melodies and music.  Her music is empowering and often speaks of love and friendship and life/death- and anything that has meaning.  Did you know she wrote a song about Jane Goodall?    

All of the songs she sang with Fleetwood Mac, she wrote.  Yep.  Landslide, Gypsy, Beautiful Child (which is one of my favorite songs EVER- if I could stand to listen to it because it's so incredibly sad), Silver Spring, Sara, Rhiannon...  she wrote all of them.  Don't get me wrong, Fleetwood Mac is awesome.  Lindsey Buckingham is an amazing guitarist (but his hair kinda looks like Kramer from Seinfeld), Mick Fleetwood is amazing on drums, but Stevie literally steals the show.  I've seen Fleetwood Mac a few times in concert, but I much prefer to see Stevie solo.  Yep.  I sure do.

I've seen her in concert several times, and honestly, it has been some of the best times I've ever had.  It's so much fun.  I never go away disappointed and I always want more.  I've cried at her shows and I've smiled so much that my cheeks hurt.  Yes, it's that good.  When she does her famous spin, the crowd goes wild.  Why is that so cool?
I am such a stalker.
 The song Nightbird is one of my favorites.  It's actually about her best friend who passed away.  I absolutely love the lyrics, "And when I call Will you walk gently Thru my shadow".  It's so touching-- follow me in the shadows, where no one can see you, but I know you are there forever.  Ahhhhh.  Lovely.

And when I call
Will you walk gently
Thru my shadow
The ones who sing at night
The ones who sing at night
The ones you dream of
The ones who walk away
Capes pulled around them tight
Cryin' for the night
Cry for the nightbird...tonite




And another favorite Outside the Rain.  I've listened to this song a million times.  Basically,  yeah, I'm hurt right now, but I'm sick of the shit.  Love shouldn't be so difficult.  Oh, and by the way, good luck trying to find someone like me.  So go eff yourself.

And it's been like dying -
No love's that hard to find -
And I'm tired of -
I'm tired of trying
Outside the rain
And the heart skips a beat
So you're lonely


Look in my eyes
Touch my face
Baby, there's no one
That can take my place


Stevie has helped me in so many different scenarios with her music.  Her thoughtfulness and depth.  Her knowledge of loss and love and her willingness to share with us.  What can I say?  I love Stevie Nicks.

The End. 














2 comments: